Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club
You must register to post in the public forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Link to Golden Eagles homepage

BUYING BOOTS....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club Forum Index -> For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MIKE S
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: BUYING BOOTS.... Reply with quote

I am looking at a pair of new boots and am undecided on which to purchase. My budget limit is $200. I think I have narrowed it down to alpinestars Tech 3 OR FOX F3. Anybody out there wearing either of these? And if the Tech 3 which soles? What are your feelings/thoughts about them. Any advice or insight to either of these would be greatly appreciated. Or any other <$200 boots for that matter!
Thanks...
mike
JEB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Laura likes buying me boots for bday and xmas gifts. She knows my size and I don't usually return the high end boots, so it's a safe bet for her. So I've tried/own a LOT of boots. 2 pairs of tech 8's, 2 sidi SRS's, 2 sidi Crossfires, a pair of fox formas and a pair of Gaerne SG-10's make up my current collection. Yeah, I know.

The SG-10's are the best, no contest at all really. They're a bit on the heavy side compared to the Sidi's, but it's not a thing I notice unless I'm carrying a pair of each around. They have the hinged ankle so they break in instantly. They're pretty darn water resistant (the sidi SRS's are the best in that category) and they are by far the most durable. Mine are at least 5 years old and they still look better than my 6 month old Crossfires. It just blows me away how well they wear compared to the other boots. Or maybe it blows me away how quickly the other "high end" boots wear out? The soles are very tough on the SG10's, too. I like my pegs sharp and tear up the soles fast on the other boots. I just replaced the SG10's soles for the first time a couple of months ago.

They are a bit outside your stated price range, though. Here's a link where you can get a year or two old style of them for $269 delivered. So more money, but I believe you'll save money in the long run. They run pretty true to my shoe size, too.

Hope that helps.
NATE D
Double A Forum Poster

Location: In a suburban forest of idiots driving compact SUVs

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always felt Alpinestars built a better boot for the price when compared to Fox. I've had my Tech 8's for at least 7 years and while they look they're age, they are still solid and useable.

I don't know about the sole as I've never worn ones with the all-terrain type. I agree with John that I would spend a little more to get a better boot, you'll be happier with them and they'll last longer.

Bob's list some non-current Tech 4's and 6's on sale on their website:
http://www.bobscycle.com/browse.cfm?viewfrom=1&catid=15405&step=2
MIKE D
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate's boots always seem to wear out on the outer edges of the quicker than anywhere else. I assume thats because the boots are laying on the ground a lot........ Shocked
ROB N
A Class Forum Jockey

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John,

I'm in the market after having to duck tape the Tech 8's after the buckel
broke last week. I'm going for the SG-10 from the bell store. Thanks for the link.

-Rob
DAVE G
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another vote for SG-10's
CHRIS B
Secretary

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Gearne Fastbacks last year and I really like them. There wasn't much to break in. They have hinged ankles like the SG10's, but they don't have the big plastic around the whole calf.

I bought mine from Randy Nagel (Pro-vue Goggles 507-367-4991) in Oronoco. Great price, within your stated budget.
ROBB W
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell Em to cough up some more dough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club Forum Index -> For Sale All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: