Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club
You must register to post in the public forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Link to Golden Eagles homepage

14th Annual Wudi Ride 3/31-4/1/2012 White Rock Mt, Ark
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club Forum Index -> Lets Ride!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt W
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The miles after the C out are always the best part of any enduro , alot less traffic to deal with and usually good terrain .
JEB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The long loop is really going to be fun. Some of my favorite trails. Some railing in dirt in the pines, some good up and down hills, some pretty challenging single track and, of course, some pretty rocky areas. Lots of fun.
KC FUNK
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to JEB and his club for a wonderful ride and great guides!! Hope to see ya at Thileman this spring!!
JEB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see you, Kurt. Thanks for coming down. Still have the Spring TR on the calendar.
JEB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my Wudi Ride Report. I should have posted it here too, so sorry about the delay:

With our club enduro and Wudi XIV happening at White Rock on back-to-back weekends, I'm still winding down some. But figured I'd better get a report written up before any more details slip away from my aged brain. Smile

I got there on Wednesday about 2pm. Club members Zahn and Bobby were out finishing up pulling arrows from the enduro, so I just setup my camp. First Wudi person to show up was not long after that, Doug Latvala and his wife from Princeton, MN. That was it for Wednesday, but I didn't expect many folks to be there by then.

When I got up Thursday, 3 of my buddies from my old club in MN, the Golden Eagles, had showed up. Al Jenrich, Dan Magnuson and Kurt "Funk Daddy" Funk. They had pulled in at like 3am, so not much sleep. But they saddled up anyway and I took them and Doug out for a loop. I had not seen most of the trails since before the enduro. I had pulled the first 20 miles of arrows after the enduro, but that was it. So I took them up to our Burrell Mt Cemetery loop, pipeline, Allurd Mt and back to camp after about 22 miles. The trails were in top notch shape. The 4" of rain we'd received before the enduro got ridden in beautifully. Probably the best overall shape I've seen our trails in. Lines were great and everything flowed well.

Weather was great throughout the ride. No rain, although some was predicted for Friday. We could have used it, really. It did get a bit dusty, especially in the open areas and roads. Temps were in the upper 70's to mid-80's. I saw 90 on my trucks thermometer on the way home Sunday. At least it didn't snow!!

After lunch, I wanted to take them down to Black Mt as nobody had been in there with the recent logging going on. So we rode more of the enduro loop that headed down that direction. Doug's bike would not shift out of first gear (08 KTM 200XCW) part way through. Fortunately, we were near roads that went right back to camp, so he headed back to camp in 1st. Long 8 miles! The rest of us carried on. When we got down near Cass to go into Black Mt, Dan's 07 YZ250 blew a crank seal. So we just decided to do the 13 mile road ride back to camp and call it a day.

We tore into Doug's 200 and eventually got down deep enough to find the issue. The spring loaded pad that pushes on one of the shift ratchets had stuck down. So the shift drum was not engaging to upshift, only downshift. Luckily, it was just a matter of pulling the pad out, cleaning it up a bit and putting it all back together. Worked fine after we were done. He never had any more trouble with it during the ride. Free repairs are great.

Dan was not that lucky, though. We could not source a seal anywhere in the area, so he borrowed a spare bike from some other MN club guys that came down Friday. Bummer to not get to ride your own bike on a trip like this, but at least he had something to ride. 4 more guys from the Eagles showed up as well, and went with Charlie Sparks for a big day of riding.

Much alcohol was consumed at the club house that evening, and smart talk abounded. More and more folks were starting to come into camp. Always great to see so many familiar faces, and to meet new folks. Just never enough time to visit, though. Spoke with Jim and Deb and the rest of the Cook clan some. Saw Phlipper up at the playground. Stormin' Norman with his wife Barbra. Keith and Everett, who have been to almost all the Wudi's and are 2 of my favorite people. Etc, etc. Great day for sure.

More of the Razorback Riders club members started showing up to guide folks, too. They really deserve a lot of thanks since they'd also all been working hard at the enduro the weekend before. Kept the groups small and that's always a good thing.

Friday mornings ride was pretty much a Golden Eagles club ride for me. Dan went off looking for parts, so it was Al, Kurt, Mike "Pond Scum" Heuer, Sean and Marc. I may have missed someone there. Mike started his day off on the wrong foot when he went for a little air time over a berm on Mike Parkers land and ended up in a stock pond within 1/2 mile of camp. After wringing the air filter out and getting the water out, we got going on the "long loop" of the enduro trail, but backwards. Again, trails were in great shape and we were having a great time. Mike threw a chain down in Possom (yes, that's the correct spelling) Hollow. I had some spare master links so we got that going fairly quickly, too. Zahn came through with a group of his own while we were working.

After lunch, we rode up the Allurd Mt trail, pipeline trails, trail to hell and the bicycle trail. We were headed to Pendry's Woods when Mike got a flat front just road riding on Fly Gap. I had a spare tube, so we installed that for him. At the end of Pendry's, he and a couple of others called it a day and took the road back to camp. I had intentions of running Log Run and then finishing on Lost Cell Phone, so those left followed me through Log Run. But then they all wanted to head back after that section, so that was it for Friday riding.

Our catered dinner that night arrived right on time, and seemed to meet with everyones approval. We don't make any proceeds off of the dinner, we just like to support the local businesses when we can. Kind of a quiet night at the club house Friday after dinner. Some guys were not staying in camp, and most others seemed to go to bed early. But we carried on anyway, telling lies and making stuff up. A good day.

Saturday, I switched groups and took Logan, Jason, Wade, Joel, Dave, Greg, Everett and Keith. I wanted to do a BIG loop as Joel had asked for a 70 mile day. I think he learned he needs to be careful what he asks for. Smile We went up and did Possom and the pines. I wanted to head south from there, but we were not far from camp so figured we'd gas up before heading out for parts unknown. It was just as well as I'd ridden my 200 for the first time that morning. I'd been tweaking the Rekluse and it was just not right yet. So I pulled out the 08 250XCW KTM to finish with.

Off we went to the wall trail and Pendry's Woods. We stopped at the top of Lost Cell Phone for a snack at Noon. Spectacular views from up there. Some good joke telling was going on, too. Nice to hear the Ole and Sven jokes again. Down Lost Cell Phone, down into Fane's Creek and finally down to Black Mt. The logging did not impact the trail much at all. They are still logging it on and off, but the trail was very ridable. The last mile or so had a lot of new logs on it, but not from the logging. Just needed to be worked.

After that, we did some easier riding. I took them to Bee Rock, The Arches and another rest stop at Gray's Springs. That's an old CCC built picnic area that also has some nice views. Wade wanted to put a hammock up and call it a day, but I eventually got them back on the bikes. Smile We took Ragtown Rd back to 4 corners, and some of the guys split off and headed for camp. I think it was Wade, Greg, "Give me 70 miles" Joel and Dave. The rest went into Log Run. Logan was very low on fuel at the end of that trail, so he took the road from there back to camp. Turns out he had to push it in the last few 100 yards, past some locals that were ribbing him pretty good about it, I hear.

Everett, Keith, Jason and I went up Gulich and down Red's Kitchen. I was going to haul them through Parkers too, but just didn't have the heart to finish them off that way. 62 miles total. I had a few more actual miles than that with some back tracking I had to do to help folks out.

Folks started leaving out late Saturday, or at least getting packed for an early start on Sunday. Jeff Gaston showed up late that night. Always fun to see Jeffro. But that only made for 4 folks that wanted to be guided on Sunday. I think they took off with almost the same number of guides! I decided to take my dogs and drive down to Black Mt and clear the last mile of that trail, which I did. Heck of a drive getting back in there and it was HOT out there in the woods dragging that saw up and down those hills. Heat is really on us fast this year. Or maybe I'm just getting old?

And then it was over. When I got back to camp, almost everyone was gone already. Doug Latvala and Jeffro were the only ones in camp. I had to make two trips home to get all my stuff back, so hooked up to my trailer and figured I'd bomb run it home and come back down for the night so I could bring my RV home in the morning. But I had some trouble with my truck on the way home (it has done this to me about every 2 years since I bought it new, and for no apparent reason), so I did not return until this morning. Jeff was gone and Doug was just heading out. So I finished up, policed the area a bit, closed the gate and headed home. Sad that another Wudi went by so quickly, but already looking forward to next year. So many good memories.

I did not take a single picture. But I saw lots of GoPro's and cameras around. So send me those pictures and/or links and I'll try to get them posted.

Hope y'all made it home safely, and that you had a good time. About time we got lucky on the weather for one of these, which really made it so much more fun, IMO. It was sure great to see everyone.
DAVE G
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice report John...sounds like the guys will have some GOOD stories to tell!! Laughing
MIKE S
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep...sounds like a good time was had by all....cept I am sure those with mechaical failures were bummed. I NEED to get to a WUDI ride!
DAVE G
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"snap"?? Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club Forum Index -> Lets Ride! All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: