Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club
You must register to post in the public forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Link to Golden Eagles homepage

Fall 2016 trail ride is cancelled

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JEB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Fall 2016 trail ride is cancelled Reply with quote

The 2016 Fall trail ride is cancelled. We have had over an inch of rain since 5am this morning, Friday 9/9/16, and it will not soak in for days since the ground is already saturated. It was a tough decision for the club, but as good stewards of the land, it was the only choice we could make. We apologize to everyone that were planning to come, and we hope to see you in the spring.
MILO B
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: 2016 fall trail ride Reply with quote

I've never worked so hard under really difficult conditions to get trails ready for a GECC trail ride. Optimism reigned Thursday evenings as sun was shining, humidity was down so trails were coming in, not all of them but enough to host another quality trail ride. Rain Friday morning just wouldn't end, Randy made the right call early Friday morning-trail ride is not possible under current conditions so it's cancelled. We host weather related events and that's simply a fact we cannot control. The trail conditions were really tough as the DNR wasn't able to mow the bottoms, too many other trails also needing the tracked skidder to clear. We agreed mowing of all bottoms could be done by the GECC. We did it but it was really tough, Randy, John, Tom B., Jim E., Sean, and I braved clouds of mosquitoes and mud, muck, tall weeds, heavy rain, beaver dropped trees, and a few equipment issues. Bill, Carl, Pete, Steve, Ben, Kurt, Carl and his son, John C., Tom B. and others took up the challenge on Wednesday working through the tough conditions we were presented with. Relieving yourself without mosquito protection can be very uncomfortable later. More showed up on Thursday to continue to advance the cause. Net of all this drivel is that the GECC put forth a herculean effort to clear enough trails to put on a quality trail ride but the weather just wouldn't allow it. I've never worked so hard under such difficult conditions (mosquitoes, muck, mud, grass, and down trees) and to come up short. The DNR applauds us for making the tough call of cancelling. The decision was a tough one but also absolutely the correct one. A few riders showed up Friday night (2 from Milwaukee) but they were mostly understanding, disappointed but the concern for our standing with the DNR it made sense. For those that left earlier on Friday, John B. smokes ribs that are rated a 10! Just don't put BBQ sauce on 'em! Chad B. needed a little gravel under the wheels and a tow from The Miller's Duromax to get the big bus off the grass, no extra pull but enough.
Please remember next spring, our events are successful because a whole bunch of members are willing to put in the hard work necessary to get good trails ready to ride. I'll be there, hopefully, and proud of my membership in the GECC!
MILO B
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I missed some that were there putting forth hard work to get stuff ready, Steve, Ben, Kurt, Mike, Chad, and others. I don't mean to miss anyone but taking notes isn't a skill I possess and at my age memory isn't to be trusted! Thanks to all that endured mosquitoes, wet conditions, and helped. The membership is a real asset for the GECC! If I missed someone, I owe you a beer!
JEB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Milo. I really enjoyed working the trails and doing all we could to get ready for the FTR. It was a bit more of an adventure at times than usual, but I'm glad I made the trip up. Always fun to hang around the GE's!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: