Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club
You must register to post in the public forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Link to Golden Eagles homepage

Chadwick or OK 4-3 to 4-7?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club Forum Index -> Lets Ride!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KC FUNK
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in for whatever. What is the terrain like there compared to Chadwick?
JEB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chadwick is more gravely (Chad) with those rock shelf kinds of rocks/hills. Kind of unique that way. Not a lot of big, round rocks.

Talimena is still quite rocky but more of the planted rocks with more dirt in between. The rocks tend to range from softball sized on up, both smooth and sharp. There is about a 10 mile section of single track that is practically rock free, at least for this area. It's really fun, but you have to ride through some rocks to get to it. Some pretty good hills, switchback hills, etc.

A lot of the loops are BIG. So we'd go 35 miles or more to small town called Muse. Fuel up there, eat lunch and take a different 30-40 mile loop back. Some spectacular scenery in that riding area, too. But the loops can be smaller, too. Just depends on what you want to do.
KC FUNK
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think we need to reserve a camp site or is it first come first served for utilities? Who would we contact?
JEB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's first come, first served. But it's usually not busy this time of year. They have 10 elec hook up sites, but they allow sharing, parking in the grass between campsites, etc. They're real easy going about that kind of stuff. I think it's $16 a night for an elec site. I've seen 30 rigs or so camped there on busy weekends in the summer.

Here's a map of the camp area:
http://www.oklahomaparks.com/images/map_park/talimena.pdf

Here's a link to the park info:
http://www.stateparks.com/talimena.html

I can get a phone number for the camp host, if you want it. Eugene, the camp host, is a nice guy. The town of Talihina is about 7 miles away and has hotel, restaurant and a little store, from what I hear. I've never been there.
KC FUNK
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. I will know more after the meeting as to how many are going... kurt
JEB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. I'd be happy to answer whatever questions you have. And don't let me talk you into something you don't want to do. Chadwick is fun, too. Just not nearly the amount of single track there anymore.

Talimena can be VERY rocky in areas, but mostly just good, technical single track. It doesn't get a lot of traffic, especially the single track, so it's not all beat up. I'd be surprised if we saw any other dirt bikes on the trails. Not many really big hill climbs, but some good ones in places. Different from BC where the hills are fairly short and really technical. These are more just long and rocky but makeable. Make no mistake, though. It will challenge you non-rock riders in areas! Run those comp clickers all the way soft. Very Happy

I'm still getting to know my way around Talimena, but I know a lot of
the good trails now. And I have a bunch more loaded on my GPS that have been sent to me.
JEB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the guys over on KTMtalk.com just did a big ride report with pictures of Talimena from 2 or 3 weekends ago. They had a big group ride down there the same weekend as Wudi. Start reading from about the 5th post on down, the one with pictures of the bikes in the camp ground:
http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=274792
RLMILLER
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John,
It looks as though there will be quite a group coming down on the April 5-6 weekend. Oklahoma was the choice as a GE ride.Thanks, Randy.
JEB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RLMILLER wrote:
Hey John,
It looks as though there will be quite a group coming down on the April 5-6 weekend. Oklahoma was the choice as a GE ride.Thanks, Randy.

Very cool! Thanks for the post. I'll get you guys up some maps/directions on how to get there. When is everyone planning on showing up? I can probably get there mid-afternoon on Friday and stay for the weekend. I'll see if I can drum up another guide, too. You may be stuck with just me to guide, though. Very Happy
RLMILLER
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to get down there by wednesday night or thursday morning and have 2-3 days of riding, returning on sunday. Is there enough there for that much time?
JEB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of trails down there. I keep hearing there are "100's" of miles of it. And there could be, I don't know them all yet. But there is plenty to keep busy on. You'll likely run some of it more than once if you want mostly single track, though. There's a bunch of ATV/jeep type trails to the west of the blacktop, but I know almost nothing about that side as I'm mostly into the single track.

The ride report I linked in above is fairly typical of our rides there.

For you guys getting there early, do you have a GPS? I can send some tracks for you to download so you can find some of the good stuff.
RLMILLER
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not, but I am sure that someone will have one on them--any suggestions on what brand to buy? I would be willing to get one before I go. Randy.
JEB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you want from a GPS. Do you want it JUST for trail riding? Or would you like it to also be capable of street level navigation?

I have a Garmin so that'd be the easiest to exchange, but I think I can convert them to other formats, too.

Give me a call if you want to discuss the GPS or trip. My cell number has not changed from when I lived in Roch.
RLMILLER
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,John.
JEB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm leaning towards getting there Thursday afternoon now. Who all is showing up on Thursday?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club Forum Index -> Lets Ride! All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: