Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club
You must register to post in the public forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Link to Golden Eagles homepage

Chadwick or OK 4-3 to 4-7?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club Forum Index -> Lets Ride!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAVE G
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK cool....I been researching Talihana motels...there are 3...one is full (LazyR), one is a B&B (Hooties) for $89 which includes a breakfast voucher for a cafe across the street, one is Kiamichi Inn for $54...hmmmm.
JEB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just talked to the campground manager down there. He said the campground is on and off again busy, mostly with quads riders. They stay off the single track for the most part, BTW. Anyway, there are 10 official sites with water/elec. One of those is taken up by the camp host so there are 9. You can't reserve them in advance. But there is a way to get around that. When I arrive Thursday evening, I can reserve a slug of sites by paying for them all when I check in. It's $16 a night per elec/water site. I'm certainly willing to do that, but I'd need a solid head count on how many sites I need to reserve. I may even be able to get the sites right away Friday morning so as to not have to pay the extra nights fee. So let me know if you know you'll for sure need a site, when you'll arrive and I'll lock it down.

As I said earlier, they'll let us park in the grassy areas between sites, next to other sites, etc. So we should have plenty of room in any case. Fee is the same if you plug into the elec and water, though. Slightly less if you dry/tent camp.
RAY C
True Single Tracker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I , Dan , Monte & Spanky will be leaving Lake City early Thursday afternoon. Should arrive Friday early to midmorning. So Jeb we will need you to grab a spot for us at the campground. Thanks Ray
DAVE G
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John do you know is a S/A MANDATORY there?? (are there ranger's checking??) I have yet to mount my PMB endcap and am quickly running out of time!! On a side note to get you guys pumped....I got yet ANOTHER great report on this place...seems it is comparable to a mini-colorado!! MAN I am REALLY getting revved up!!
ANDY F
Up & Coming Club Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Camping Sites. Reply with quote

John,
Kurt Funk, myself, Mike D. and his kid will all be leaving Thursday mourning. We will need a campsite for thursday night for Funks fun hauler. I'm pumped to come ride on ground thats not frozen or indoors.
See you Thursday.
Andy Foley
RLMILLER
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its awesome down here! The hills are great and there is no flooding--totally great--just kidding! Scott and I are pumped--see you there tommorrow night, all, Randy.
JEB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I have 3 camp rigs coming in tomorrow, including me, and 1 coming in Friday. Sounds good. I'll call it when I get there as far as if we need to reserve the Friday site for an extra night. The downside we're paying for an empty campsight.

Sounds like a rainy day tomorrow, but nice Fri-Sun.

Dave,
Yes, I've heard more than one guy say it reminds them of Colorado. We even have a long switch back hill! But that one is not overly steep, just long.
JEB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, forgot Dave's question. Offically, SA's are required. But I've never seen or heard of anyone getting checked. Ordinarily, I'd be throwing water on the idea since I'm a big advocate of quiet, SA'd bikes but it's been so wet that I would not worry about it.

Again, there are NO stickers, permits, etc to buy for your bikes while riding there. Only fee is the camping fee.

One other guy may come help show y'all around. He's the one that introduced me to the trails. He's not sure he'll be there, but he's trying. He and Art know a lot of trails I've probably never been on, so they're great resources for us.
JEB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let the others do ride reports as I'm interested in what they'll say. I think the group that was there on Friday thought they'd made a mistake as it was pretty tricky with the rain we got Thursday night/Friday early AM. But they kept at it. The traction was great the rest of the weekend. I thought it was funny that I'd tell them "this is the same trail we were on on Friday" and they didn't believe me!

Anyway, it was great to see everyone that came down. Hope you guys enjoyed it.

Last edited by JEB on Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
MIKE S
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes john, i am anxiously awaiting the reports. Jealous of the MN/WI guys that made the trip. I hope to be able to join one of these events soon (next year)....anyways, it snowing here as I type, so thats cool. Better get me snowboard waxed
DAVE G
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well 3 of us showed up sat. morning, rode all day and also all day sunday...had a GREAT time...MANY sections of trail there would have been A/AA here in MN!! GREAT stuff!! Great weather also...sure did suck unloading at my place yesterday in 30degree windy weather!! (I still had shorts on!!).
I totally forgot to ask...John did you get the "hockey stick" from Kurt for Wade?? Also tell Laura thanks again for those girl scout cookies!! They were a nice snack on the long drive home!! Wink
RLMILLER
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There trully is nothing like duelling it out on the trails with guys you can trust!!! Thanks to John and Art for the challenging trails and having patience for us Northern boys --was a good time, Randy.
RLMILLER
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures anyone?
JEB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, no one gave me the silencer. Bummer. That won't be cheap to ship.

Okay, looks like I'll have to do a RR, from a rock riders perspective! Smile

I got there about 5:30pm on Thursday. Takes about 2.5 hours from my house. Rained some on the way down but had stopped by the time I got there. Randy and Scott pulled in about an hour later and we spent the rest of the evening catching up. It was raining pretty good on and off, which was forecasted. It was suppose to stop sometime late Thursday night/early Friday morning, which it did.

Kurt, Andy, Mike and Dustin had come in late so were in camp when I got up. I had some breakfast, took some cold medicine (sporting a pretty good cold all weekend, which sucked) and tinkered with my bike until the camp showed some life. Said hi to the newest arrivals and met Andy. Ray, Dan F and Spanky pulled in about 9am, I guess. We finally got going about 10am. Which was about an hour later than I was hoping, given the length of the loop I wanted to hit. Spanky was a fairly new rider and decided to sit this one out and just ride around camp.

The first 3 miles or so until we cross the blacktop are pretty tough and technical. Gives a good flavor for what the most technical trails there are like. And being wet didn't make it any better. It was not raining by now but there was a lot of water on the trails. By the time we got down the other side of the blacktop and into the single track, I think the guys were starting to wonder just what the hell I'd talked them into. The deer in the headlights look was pretty common. Shocked And it was pretty dicey, even though I ride in that stuff a lot. Good single track but a fair number of logs on the trail, roots, slippery rocks, water running down the trail, water crossings, etc.

Dustin had a flat so we put a new tube in for him. Kurt went down in about the middle of the north loop and a rock took out the water pump impeller cover on his 1 hour old 08 YZ450f. So he was done. We rode out to the next road about a mile up. Randy and I doubled up on my bike since it's pretty street legal and rode about 10 miles of mostly blacktop back to camp to get his truck. That was freaking cold as it was still misty and cool! We rode up into the clouds for a bit.

Anyway, once we got back, Dustin had discovered his rear tire was flat (IIRC). We tried some fix a flat, but it didn't hold. So we loaded his and Kurt's bike up and they went back to camp. We didn't get 50' down the trail when I lost the front end on a small wet tree and went down in a deep puddle. Jeez. Had to stop and wring out both jersey's and borrow some gloves from Andy.

We got the north side loop done after a gnarly hill climb (#9). Then it was down the long hill back on the south side of the blacktop and into Muse. We'd gone about 40 miles to that point. Muse is a little nothing town that is on the eastern side of the area. We usually ride into there for fuel. It's a gas station, cafe and nice hardware store. They make a great burger and love our business. It was 4pm or so when we left so I just led everyone on about 20 miles of mostly backroads riding back to camp.

Spent some time repairing damage and then Laura showed up with the shepherds. She wanted to visit with everyone so she spent Fri and Sat nights in camp. I'd arranged a long horse riding thing on Saturday for her while we were riding. She enjoyed that but her horse decided to roll over with her on it at one point so she's got a sore leg now.

It had started to warm up and the wind had finally died down. We got a fire going after dinner and told lies around the fire the rest of the evening.

Dave, Lynn and Dan M pulled in Saturday morning. My friend Art, who knows the area better than I do, was also in our group the rest of the weekend. Mike, the owner of Flatland Racing, rode with us on Saturday, too.

Kurt had talked to Cycle City and they were going to have Yamaha overnight his part to the campground. It was suppose to be there by 10am. So I took a few of the guys on a 2 hour ride, hoping he'd have his bike running by the time we got back. Part didn't show, though. So he borrowed the Miller's spare bike, an 00 250CR. We decided to ride about a half loop. We started the same way as the day before but the trails were much drier and much more fun. We went about half way, cut across the blacktop and down Boy Scout hill. No idea why it's called that, but it's a LONG rocky hill. Then we followed the INT trail back to camp. That has a lot of fun sections on the south side, but it's really rocky in places.

We got back to camp around 4pm and called it a day. It was really nice by then. Sunny all day, high in the upper-60's, I'd guess. Steaks on the barby and more fireside chats made for another very enjoyable evening. Kurt got me drunk with some Sam Adam's and Leiny's and I offered to let him ride my spare bike on Sunday, an 07 KTM 200XC. Wink

We got a good, early start on Sunday at 9am. The loop is kind of long if you do the whole thing so an early start is really a good thing. We decided to do the south side INT (Indian Nations Trail) to Muse, eat lunch and then do the north side. The hills are easier that direction, too. Dustin again had a flat front so we put in a Ultra HD tube I had along that day. That held the rest of the loop to Muse. Kurt had a problem in a creek crossing but shook it off. The loop actually gets easier towards Muse so lunch came at a high point, I think.

Big after church crowd at the Muse cafe so it took a while to get fed. Lynn had decided to not ride and met us at Muse in his truck instead. Mike had flatted his rear tube and we couldn't fix it so he and Dustin loaded up in Lynn's truck and went back to camp with him.

The final loop of the day went pretty well. We got back on the trail about 1pm and made good time. The trails were premo all day long on Sunday. Almost all the water had gone away, the creeks were back down and those damn logs had dried up. So I think everyone was having a blast, although probably getting a little beat up and tired from the almost constant beating. Randy saved a potentially really nasty crash on a high speed section, but jerked his shoulder badly in the save. Hopefully that will heal quickly for him. He gutted it out the rest of the way though, even though there was an easy out he could've taken.

It was about 4:30-5 when we got back to camp. It didn't take too long to get loaded up and say good-bye's to everyone. It was sure great to see all the club members come down. I hope you enjoyed it. It's a rocky place to ride, but I like it. Brock Creek is probably a little easier riding, but it doesn't have the miles of trails or the "adventure" type riding that Talimena has.

Hope y'all come back soon!
DAN F
True Single Tracker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ride recap John! I had a blast even when the trails were wet, but they drier they got the bigger my smile got. Thanks again for suggesting this great riding spot and thanks for showing us all around. Ray and I have some pics which we'll get posted soon. We can't post them directly to the GE website can we?

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club Forum Index -> Lets Ride! All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: