Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club
You must register to post in the public forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Link to Golden Eagles homepage

Scipio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club Forum Index -> Lets Ride!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RAY C
True Single Tracker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Scipio Reply with quote

Good luck John at Scipio . Thanks for showing all of us a another great riding area. I'd like to here what you thougt of Scipio after the enduro. Later Ray
JEB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. We got another big batch of rain, but the word is the course will be okay. Mostly rocks, but some mudholes. Might even favor an old mud rider!
JEB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, am I frustrated. I'd been waiting on installing my brand new replacement TB's for my first race of the year, which was last weekend at the Scipio Enduro in OK. So I carefully installed them last week on both ends of the bike. New tires, using all the correct TB lubes, fuzzy spoke tape they provide, cleaned and no burr wheels, etc. Got 28 of them in the tire, which I tought was good. This is not my first TB install and I feel like I know what I'm doing by now.

I'm on a row with the #2 OA AA guy from last years BJEC series and looking forward to seeing if I can keep up. We had a really fun first lap. Nice to be able to just follow an AA guy through the muddy spots. He picked great lines. I got about 3 miles into the second loop and noticed the bike was not accelerating right when I'd give it gas. Thought I'd fryed the clutch. So I found a club worker and he told me how to get back to camp by road. I realized on the roads that it was not my clutch but a flat rear tire. My mind didn't want to accept that at first since I had a brand spanking new set of tire balls in there to make sure that did NOT happen. But sure enough, the tire feels flat almost all the way around and had torn loose from the very tight bead lock. So the rim was spinning in the tire after apparently a catastrophic TB failure.

Talk about irony. I put the big money and time into making sure I can charge into the rocks without fear of a flat and a flat causes my first ever DNF. It was shaping up to be such a great day, too. Tough pill to swallow. Evil or Very Mad

I've had good luck with the front TB's, but I've not had good luck with them in back. I'll give the good folks at TB a call today and see what they say, but I'd have to get a bunch of trouble free trail miles in before I'll trust them in the back in a race again. I'm going back to UHD tubes in the rear for now.

Fun race, from the 20 miles I saw of it. There were some big mud holes. After I quit the race and was heading for the road, I helped one guy get his WR450f unstuck. He was freakin' BURIED. Took us like 15 minutes to get it done. Had to flip it over backwards in the rut to finally get the rear wheel to break suction. Busted the rear fender off in the process, of course.

Last edited by JEB on Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
MIKE S
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: BUMMER... Reply with quote

Bummer about the flat john. I have no experience with those, but can imagine the frustration. At least you got a few miles in Smile
We (I) hope to be riding soon!!!!!!!
THOMAS E
Legislative Officer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, from all of the rock stories and flat tires that I hear about, I didn't think there was any mud in OK.
LYNN M
Casual Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John thanks for the info...... sorry you only made it one lap, one more than we got this weekend however.
In Chile only 3 riders were using the balls that I saw, Jeff Fredette being one but all had good luck with them. I had two front flats last year and was thinking about the solid Moose to correct that problem. From watching tire changes it looked like the TB's were much easier to install so I was leaning that way, so I am interested in how they work. Now however I may stick with HD tubes for a while. Good luck on your next event ....
JIM E
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John,

Too bad about the flat tire, but if you can keep up to a AA rider you shouldn't have any trouble winning the Super Senior class. Of course those other Super Senior riders will probably want to see your drivers license to prove that you are legally in that class. Smile

Also, backing off the screw in the clutch lever was what I needed to do to backbleed the clutch. Thanks for the tip......
JEB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

It was an interesting mix of rocks, mud and a surprising amount of really nice traction dirt. Not nearly as rocky at what we rode at Talimena.

Looks like I may need to run dual bead locks to make the rear work right with tire balls.

Glad to help, Jim. All the old guy classes are pretty competitive down here. It's like MN where all the old AA guys are still fast, but just not AA anymore. So they're in the vet, senior and super senior classes kicking butts. I was kind of looking forward to see how I'd place in this class, but I'll just have to wait to find out.

The enduros down here don't have a lot of hot checks. And guys really push the possibles. They'll get off the bike and go sneaking through the woods to see if there's a check around the corner! Kind of disappointing to see slower guys than me leave a reset 5, 6 minutes early and beat me in a section because they do that kind of stuff. Or maybe even have some prior knowledge. Kind of makes me start to appreciate the new "national" format, since that keeps those kinds of things from happening.
DAVE G
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You hit the nail on the head John...that's one of the reason's the nationals are SO well attended!!
JEB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a good way to run enduros and still keep at least some timekeeping, though. Still do the known control deals, etc of the new format, but make at least one of the special tests makeable by most B and above riders. That would make the top guys timekeep and keep alive the concept of being able to burn a check. And maybe outlaw computers. Make sense?

That may kill a lot of the enthusiasam for the new format, though. Seems a large part of the draw is not having to think at that level.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club Forum Index -> Lets Ride! All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: