Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club
You must register to post in the public forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Link to Golden Eagles homepage

Lowrance XOG GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club Forum Index -> For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NATE D
Double A Forum Poster

Location: In a suburban forest of idiots driving compact SUVs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Lowrance XOG GPS Reply with quote

This is a brand new in the box portable GPS. See more details here:

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Automotive/XOG/

I ended up with 2 of these so I am selling one. I took it out of the box and turned it on but never used it. Comes with all the parts and manuals and warranty. I've been using the other one on my KLR and it works just as I expected it to. Even got caught in a downpour once and it didn't phase it. One of the reasons I bought the XOG is it's meant for marine use so it's weatherproof. So if you want a GPS for your bike and don't want to spend $500+ it's a good option.

I bought this through work then found out my rep would hook me up so I bought one from him and could return this one, but it's easier and quicker to sell it. I paid $197 after tax so that's what I'm selling it for. Cheapest I found on the internet was about $220. Hit me up if you're interested or have any questions.

Last edited by NATE D on Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
JIM E
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate - If you still have this I might be interested. I don't have a GPS and know little about them, but have been thinking of getting one. Is it a good one and if you were buying again would you buy this same one? I'm not sure when I'll see you again, but if you come to the next club meeting maybe you could bring it with you so I could take a look at it.
NATE D
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim - I don't know much about GPS's either, but with the reading I did do I found most people's opinion of the XOG is that's it is a good unit for what you pay for it, but it does have it's faults. The battery life does suck, like 1-2 hours unplugged. But I have 12V plug-ins on the vehicles I will use it on so it's not an issue for me. I have a Garmin Etrex Vista that'll run on 2 AA's all day long for hunting/hiking but it only tells me where I've been, not where I want to go. The other common complaint is that people say the screen isn't as clear as other units. I haven't noticed this but I haven't compared another GPS side by side with it either. Other than that the XOG seems to work like the other brands of automotive GPS's I've used only it's "weatherproof" for whatever that's worth to you. I knew it would get wet on my KLR. One other thing I like about it is the fact that it shows a lot of detail like little road names and creeks, rivers, and lakes as I drive by.

Here's some more info and opinions on it:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280194

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44600
THOMAS B
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Navigation systems Reply with quote

I recently attended a seminar on these, look into the TOMTOM one if you're seriously considering one for MC use. They advertise 'developed for bikers by bikers' by hype aside its an amasing unit...

http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=1&Lid=4
MIKE D
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom may very well be an amazing unit as you say, but a guy is trying to sell something here, hence the name of the forum. Knowing Nate, you can bet he's as honest as they come when it comes to selling something. District 23 used to have similar problems on it's classified sections, whereas people would bring up reasons NOT to buy something that was for sale. This is the precise reason that no responses are allowed on their FOR SALE forums. I believe the professional way to go about it is to PM the potential buyer with any suggestions you might have so not to hurt the feelings of the guy trying to sell the item. Just my opinion however....
DENNY F
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

I had the same thoughts, Mike. Thanks for voicing your opinion.

Denny F
NATE D
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense taken or feeling hurt here. Tom's just pointing out another option.

Look at the price difference, if you want to spend $650 buy the TomTom, if you want to spend $200 then buy the XOG.

Last edited by NATE D on Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
JIM E
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate - Does the XOG come with a motorcycle mount system or would I have to get that?

I met a guy that has a Garmin 260W and a Ram handlebar mount and is very happy it. The cost from GPScity is $269 plus about $40 for the mount system. Has anyone heard about this one?
NATE D
Double A Forum Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The XOG only comes with the suction cup car mount. I bought a RAM mount and would highly recomend it for any GPS you buy. The motorcycle mount from Lowrance looks very flimsy. RAM also makes something cool called an aqua box which protects your unit ( Embarassed Mike?) but still allows you to use the touch screen:

http://www.ram-mount.com/aqua_box_mount/aqua_box_mount.htm

I don't know anything about the Garmin 260W.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club Forum Index -> For Sale All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: